This was an easy, albiet time-consuming, recipe for barbecued beef that ended up tasting suspiciously like sloppy joes. I swear, if you replaced the chuck roast with hamburger …
Anyway. It was good.
And messy. Really messy.
But soooooo worth it.
- In a large pot, add two medium onions, rough-chopped, to a tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Add a 28-ounce can of peeled plum tomatoes, chopping them up in the pot.
- Add an 18-ounce bottle of barbecue sauce (or 2 1/4 cups of homemade sauce). I use Sweet Baby Ray’s Original BBQ Sauce.
- Let everything simmer together for about ten minutes.
- Add a 2 1/2 to 3 lb chuck roast.
- Cover and simmer for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the roast and cut into small pieces. You could also shred it if you prefer.
- Increase the heat under the sauce and let it thicken. BE SURE TO KEEP STIRRING THE SAUCE! You do not want burnt sauce bits in your barbecue!
- Add the beef back in, mix well, and serve on buns.