When it comes to birthdays, Husband is a man of few requests. This year is was Vegetable Beef Soup and Snickerdoodles. The dessert part was easy: I just cracked open the Krusteaz mix, added an egg and butter, and there ya go. Snickerdoodles.
The soup was a bit more intense, but oh so worth it.
Cut a chuck roast into two-inch chunks, salt and sear on all sides in olive oil. Mine was between 2 1/2 and 3 lbs.
- couple tablespoons of minced garlic
- few shakes of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 box of beef broth
- 1 cup Guinness Stout
- 1 cup dry red wine (we used Zinfandel)
- tablespoon of thyme
- 2 bay leaves.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 3 hours. Trust me.
- diced red potatoes (3-4, depending on size)
- sliced carrots (again, 3-4)
- rough-chopped sweet onion
- 1 can cut green beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
Raise temperature to medium. Cook for 45 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are tender.